Looking for cash to help pay for college or grad school? Good news: you don’t have to be a top scholar or star athlete. Here are ten scholarships for those of us with more unique and unusual talents:
1. Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest. Attention, aspiring Project Runway contestants! www.duckbrand.com awards cash prizes to the couple who creates and wears the best duct tape outfit or accessories to their prom. First place is $5,000 each, second place is $3,000 each, and third place is $2,000. The same amount is awarded to the colleges they’ll be attending.
2. Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest. Can you do an incredible duck imitation? Are you a high school senior? Do you realize that these two descriptors, put together, can earn you big bucks? Scholarshipfunds for this contest total $4,250 each year, with the first place winner snagging $2,000. Check out for more information.
3. The VegetarianResource Group Scholarships. $5,000 each are awarded to two high school seniors who abstain from meat, fowl, and fish, and who promote vegetarianism in their school and/or community.
4. Jif’s Most Creative Sandwich Contest. This one’s for kids between the ages of 6 and 12: submit a photo and recipe for your most creative and tasty sandwich idea and you could win up to $25,000 towards college. Last year’s winner? “Magnificent Mole Chicken Torta”. Yummmm. Click here to drool over pics and read the contest rules.
5. Beansfor Brains Scholarship. Calling all crafty high school or college students: if you can knit, crochet, or sew, you can enter this contest. Send in a pic of your amazing finished project – winners can earn up to $3,200.
6. Star Trek Star Fleet Academy Scholarship. Trekkies, rejoice – you can cash in for your passion. You must be enrolled in college, graduate school, junior college, or some technical schools, as well as being an active member of the Star Trek Fan Association. Fans of Kirk and Spock can win up to $1,000. Live long, prosper, and get details here.
7. American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship Program. Now here’s one you don’t encounter every day. The American Fire Sprinkler Association believes so strongly in the importance of educating the public about fire sprinklers that it offers multiple scholarships of $20,000 and $5,000 for those who take its online test and answer a multiple-choice test. Winners are chosen by a random drawing. Light your fire here.
8. Collegiate InventorsCompetition. Do you have a cool idea for an invention? Enter it in this competition for a chance to compete for over $100,000 in prizes. You may also be selected to present your invention at a panel of top inventors in Washington, D.C.
9. CommonKnowledge Scholarship Foundation. If you’re reasonably knowledgeable and you ‘re good at multiple-choice tests, visit this website. You can take as many quizzes as you like; students with the highest scores on win anywhere from $250 to $2,500. How easy is that?
10. Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway. Put your technology skills to use by making a standout video describing how you will make an impact on your community. Submit it and enter to win either $2,500, or a chance to compete for $100,000. To learn what else the doctor ordered here.
Mandy Fricke is a community builder for Gradschools.com online master’s programs. In her free time she enjoys biking, traveling, and reading in coffee shops.